Wednesday 26 December 2012

Usmle Step 1 MCQ’s # 36

Title: Usmle Step 1 MCQ’s # 36
Subject: Behavioral Science

Q NO 36: A 40-year-old woman is being seen by a physician for the 10th time this year for evaluation of vague aches and pains. An extensive prior evaluation has excluded the possibility of serious disease. During the inter’ view with this patient, she makes repeated statements along the lines of, “What I want doesn’t matter. Do what you want.” And, “I’m afraid you won’t have time to see me anymore.” The traits this patient is exhibiting are most consistent with which of the following personality disorders?

A. Dependent
B. Histrionic
C. Obsessive-compulsive
D. Paranoid
E. Schizoid

Explanation:
The correct answer is A. This scenario is classic for “dependent” personality. Look for reliance on others, subordination of own needs, and fear of abandonment. Note that in real life, patients may show symptoms of more than one personality disorder.
Histrionic personality disorder (choice B) is characterized by theatricality, suggestibility, a strong desire for attention, and shallowness.
Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder (choice C) also called anancastic personality disorder, is characterized by obsessions, perfectionism, rigidity, and self-doubt.
Paranoid personality disorder (choice D) is characterized by suspiciousness, oversensitivity, querulous ness, and an unforgiving character.
Schizoid personality disorder (choice E) is characterized by emotional coldness, solitude, and social insensitivity.

Source: http://www.usmleworldwide.com/blog/?p=735

9 comments:

  1. This is the precise weblog for anybody who needs to seek information about this topic. Nice stuff, simply nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly agree to some points that you have discussed on this post. I appreciate that you have shared some reliable tips on this review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you're saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I'm sure you'll reach so many people with what you've got to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the best post I have ever seen, many thanks and keep posting such a informative and knowledgeable posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Really great effort. Everyone should read this article. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Really great effort. Everyone must read this article. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, your experience is quite encouraging to me. I think this is the best option for me at the moment.

    ReplyDelete